Tag Archives: Sewaholic

Completed: The Psychedelic Snakeskin dress

snake1

A fun, quick  make of the Sewaholic Yaletown, out of a dazzlingly-patterned rayon challis, which was totally an impulse buy/make and which will totally become a wardrobe staple.

Enjoy the photo shoot. Most of it is legitimate. In the rest…well. The dress is VERY persuasive. It rules them all and binds them, and brings them all through the darkness and binds them…

OKAY I WATCHED THE TWO TOWERS LAST NIGHT YOU GOT ME.

But seriously. It’s hard not to act up a little when wearing this dress…

snake7

snake4b

snake5  snake6

snake2

snake5b   snake3

Advertisements

Completed: Sewaholic Yaletown: Coneflower Confection

DSC_0005

Happy Friday! Have I mentioned how much I love Sewaholic patterns?

Because I am totally in love with Sewaholic patterns.

This is the Yaletown dress, though I made it without the sleeves…I made it out of a delicious coneflower rayon challis, and it was intended for hothothot weather…so no sleeves.

DSC_0006

This dress is fairly easy to throw together, and as always, Tasia’s instructions taught me something new. In this case, it was elastic casing. Tasia’s method is probably standard fare, but I read over the instructions before starting the casing and laughed aloud. “Genius!” I exclaimed. I had never thought to use the seam allowance as the casing!.

DSC_0008

So, yeah, I’ve been wearing this dress a lot. It’s super comfortable right out of the package (I DID have to do an SBA, but I always have to do one of those, so I hardly count it anymore), super flattering, and feminine without being ultrasweet. When I wore this dress the first time, a girl came up to me and said, “Can I just say? I don’t like your dress. I’m DROOLING over it.”

DSC_0014  It’s such a flowy, airy, comfortable style that I want to make another two or three and have it be a wardrobe staple–but it’ll have to wait until I can save up a little money and find a similarly good rayon challis. I have access to a wide variety of rayons at my workplace (woot woot independent fabric stores!) but they’re relatively transparent and I don’t like wearing bras.

What?

DSC_0009  I have another few dresses I’ll post about over the next week…stay tuned!

Completed: Sewaholic 1301 – Robson Coat

I’ve been busy the last few days, making myself a trench coat made of sunshine! 🙂

squidtrench1

The coat is made from a cotton/silk twill that was literally named “Daffodil Twill.” Since I’ve wanted a yellow trench coat for years, when I saw the material in the fabric store I jumped on it, even though it was about twice as expensive as fabric I usually pick up.

squidtrench2

My S.O. took the shots…didn’t he do a good job?

The Robson coat was a great project to tackle. It took me a long time, but I learned a lot from it. It was my first time working with bias tape to such an extent–the coat is unlined, so all of the seams are finished with bias tape:

squidtrench6

It also had me do a great deal of topstitching and pressing–things that I had ignored before, because I had a crummy iron, and also because it was never explicitly put in the directions from pattern companies like Vogue and Simplicity. But this pattern taught me first-hand that a good final product results from pressing at least as much as you sew, if not moreso. Here’s a detail shot:

squidtrench5

The one thing that blew my mind about the Robson Coat was that I had to do no other modifications than lengthening the sleeves an inch. The shoulders, the bust, and the sleeve width are all perfect, and these are normally areas that I need to take in a lot. Check out the fit of the top half of the coat!squidtrench4

 

And, in case you weren’t convinced by how happy I am–not only to have a yellow trench coat that I made, but to have it turn out so well–

squidtrench7